The 2nd Public Service Negotiating and Consultative Council (PSNCC) held its first sitting on 10th August, 2017 at the Ministry of Public Service chaired by the chairman of the Council, Mr. Claudius Olwenyi. It was attended by the Head of Public Service and Secretary to cabinet, Mr. John Mitala, who is the leader of the Government Negotiating Team on council, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Public Service, Mrs. Catherine Bitarakwate Musingwiire, representatives from the Ministries of Local Government, Finance Planning & Economic Development and Justice and Constitutional affairs on one hand, and on the other were representatives of all the 10 Public Service labor Unions.
The recognized Public Service labor Unions are:
- National Union of Education Institutions (NUEI);
- Uganda Government and Allied Workers Union (UGAWU);
- Uganda Scientists Researchers and Allied Workers Union (USRAWU);
- Uganda National Teachers Union (UNATU);
- Uganda Nurses and Midwives Union (UNMU);
- Uganda National Union of Local Government Workers (ULGWU);
- Uganda Medical Workers’ Union (UMWU);
- University, Professional and Academic Staff Union (UPASU);
- Uganda Parastatal Statutory Authority and Judiciary Workers Union (UPSAJWU); and
- Uganda Farm and Agro-Based Workers Union (UFAWU)
Issues discussed included those that affect the Council’s relevance having observed that a number of Staff Associations have been at the forefront of negotiations with Government on terms and conditions of service including commissioning of strikes in disregard of the existing negotiation machinery.
The Consultative Council was established to act as a forum for involving Public Officers in the public service in the process of formulating policy in the Public Service. At the meeting, the council received an update from the Ministry of Public Service on the progress of the development and review of policies that the Ministry is currently undertaking. In the same vein, the Council received and discussed a petition from the Uganda Local Government Workers Union on equal pay for equal work.
Mr. James Tweheyo the General Secretary of UNATU was elected the chair of the Public Service Labor Unions’ Joint Negotiating Team to ease coordination between the members and the Secretariat of Council.